For our Residents at Elkington House we carefully choose activities according to the seasons and with regards to each resident's capabilities and to our Registered Charity.
Doreen, our Activities Co-ordinator, is with our residents at the home every weekday, providing tailored activities in response to each person’s different interests and hobbies. This could be either in groups or in one-to-one attention.
Some activities our residents have enjoyed include:
* Having a newspaper or magazine read to them
* Reminiscences—followed up by Doreen finding books or information relating (for example) to someone’s town of birth or to their memories.
* Dominoes, Bingo and Jigsaw puzzles
* Arts & Crafts
* Cooking and Gardening Activities
* Sensory or verbal quizzes for those with visual impairments
* Large print card games
* A monthly sing-song with Dave & Shirley, our visiting Entertainers
* Walks or wheelchair trip to the park or shops
* Talking Newspapers or Talking Books
* Listening to music chosen by the residents
Easter, Summer and Christmas Parties for residents, their relatives & friends, staff and trustees of Southend Blind Welfare Organisation